fbpx
Breaker Keeps Tripping

5 Signs That You Should Upgrade Your Electrical Panel

You probably don’t give much thought to your electrical panel. ┬áThe only thing you do is turn it on and go about with your business as usual. But unknown to you, your electrical panel plays a vital role in your house. Just like everything else, an electrical panel won’t last forever. An electrical panel will last for about 20 to 40 years.

When it’s time to upgrade your panel, you cannot ignore it.  You need to spend money to get one that meets your needs. If you are still unsure whether you need an upgrade or not, here are signs to show that it’s time for an upgrade.

1. Faulty Wiring

Your electrical panel is up-to-date, but you notice the lights dim and flicker, the problem may be with the wiring. Some red flags you should look out for to determine whether the wires are faulty include a burning smell near your electronics, tingling sensation when you touch the appliance, and static electricity that happens often.  A discoloration near plugs can also be an indication that you need to call an electrician.

2. Breakers Tripping Often

One of the roles of an electrical panel is to prevent circuit overloads and short circuits. Short circuit or an overload are the main causes of fire or electrocution.  A circuit breaker will go off when it notices a short or overload, and you can easily reset it. However, if the breaker switches off regularly, it’ll be an indication that something is seriously wrong. The issues can be due to lose or exposed wiring.  If you are using too many devices, your circuit breaker will have an overload. When that happens, you know that it’s time for an upgrade.

3. Warm Electrical Panel

Electricity transmission leads to the release of some heat. If the wiring is sufficient for the electricity, then the heat is contained. However, when the wiring is overloaded, the electrical panel becomes warm to touch. You’ll feel the heat when you place your hand over the panel. You may also notice burn marks on your panel. Such signs indicate overheating, and you should call an electrician immediately. Waiting longer only puts you and your family in danger.

4. Outdated Design

Electrical panels are not made to last forever and will begin to show signs of wear and tear at about 20 years. If your electrical panel was made before the year 2000, then it’s time you had an upgrade. Older electrical panels top out from 60 amps to 100 amps. Over the years, the electricity needs have changed. The more items in your home that use electricity, the higher the amperage you need.  Nowadays, many homes have high-definition electrical appliances and smart devices.  It’s for this reason why the electrical panels have been built with 200 amps or more to meet your amperage needs.

5. Installing New Appliances

Large appliances such as air conditioner, freezer, or refrigerator need a lot of energy. Your current electrical panel may not have enough bandwidth to have such appliances working. Having more appliances means more electrical load.  If the new appliances need more amps that your electrical panel can offer, then your circuit breaker will trip often. You can avoid such from happening by upgrading to an electrical panel with high amperage.

If you have noticed the above in your electrical panel, then it’s time for an upgrade. You need to hire a qualified electrician to do the upgrade. When you are in search for a company that offers great service and great prices, look no further than Wiring Pros. Hiring our services gives you peace of mind knowing that you are working with the best in the field. To get started, get a free quote today.

You May Also Like…

Call Now ButtonCall: (480) 773-8023